The Insurance All Students Need To Know About

Car insurance
Photo by ID.8 Photography/REX

Embarking on your university journey comes with its share of responsibilities, one of which is understanding and securing the right insurance cover.

This guide will help you navigate through the types of insurance you might need to consider during your time at university.

Contents Insurance

Contents insurance is paramount if you're living in halls of residence or a private rental. It protects your personal belongings, such as laptops, phones, textbooks, and clothes, against theft, loss, or damage. Most policies also cover items outside your accommodation, safeguarding your essentials wherever you go.


Health Insurance

As a UK student, you have access to the National Health Service (NHS), which usually negates the need for health insurance. However, if you're an international student, securing health insurance might be beneficial for covering healthcare costs not included by the NHS or for accessing private healthcare services. Ensure you understand the health insurance requirements for your visa.


Travel Insurance

If you plan to study abroad or travel during your studies, travel insurance is essential. It covers medical expenses, lost luggage, and cancellations or delays. For those involved in exchange programmes or trips outside the UK, travel insurance offers invaluable protection.


Gadget Insurance

In today’s digital age, protecting your electronic devices with gadget insurance is a wise decision. This insurance covers your electronic gadgets against theft, loss, and accidental damage. Tailor your policy to include laptops, smartphones, tablets, and any other essential devices.


Tenant's Liability Insurance

Tenant's liability insurance might not be on your radar, but it's crucial if you're renting accommodation. This insurance protects against accidental damage to your landlord's property, ensuring you don't lose your security deposit. It's a small investment for significant peace of mind, especially in furnished properties.


Car Insurance

If you decide to bring a car to university, car insurance is mandatory. Given the high cost for young drivers, it pays to shop around for the best deal. Remember to inform your insurer about your change of address when moving to university, as this can affect your premiums.


Professional Indemnity Insurance

For those on courses that include work placements, especially in professions such as law, medicine, or engineering, professional indemnity insurance might be necessary. This insurance covers claims made by clients for loss or damage due to professional negligence.


Insurance may not be at the forefront of your mind as you prepare for university, but it's an essential aspect of your readiness for the unexpected.

Don't get caught out!

About the author: Thomas Brella

Thomas Brella is the founder of Student Hacks, starting the website in 2013 while studying at the University of Brighton to share tips and tricks on life as a cash-strapped student. He's now spent over 10 years scoping out the best ways to live on a budget

Follow on Twitter
Follow on Twitter
Like on Facebook